How does a video doorbell work?
Three events take place for a video doorbell to work:
- Motion events: video doorbell cameras detect motion through infra-red LEDs that surround a video doorbell.
- Ring events: These generate a sound on the doorbell.
- Live viewing event: This occurs when the owner wants to connect to the doorbell via the device.
The information gathered by these sensors is then organized and a push notification is generated to the owner’s phone or tablet device.
After a live event occurs, a connection created between the mobile device and video doorbell via Wi-Fi. This allows communication between homeowner and visitor.
The data is then stored in either of two main forms.
- Local: This could be any external hard drive, USB etc.
- Cloud storage: Here data is stored on a server.